Tamaris. A new brand for me, but very well known and loved on the other side of the Atlantic. Founded in Germany in 1967, Tamaris has become one of the most famous shoe brands in Europe. This is due to its variety of shoe styles, from flats to heels to boots; high quality materials and attention to detail and comfort.
It’s like a Blundstone, Ugg and Timberland mixed with an extra touch of cool. Here’s what I like about this sturdy boot:
- Nubuck Leather is beautiful, it definitely has a quality look and feel.
- The upper pART of the boot is made of a soft textile material, allowing it to be folded down to expose the Furry lining.
- The Ankle-length inner lining is made of wool, together with the insole ensure warm feet in cold weather.
- The SympaTex membrane and taped seams make the Tamaris Catser WATERPROOF! I haven’t had a chance to test them in the rain; I’m a little afraid of ruining her good looks, but I’ll report back when I do.
- The synthetic outsole is durable and provides good traction.
- The setting is true. I usually take a 41 in closed European styles for my almost size 10 foot and the Catser in a 41 fits the bill perfectly. The toe box isn’t as wide as a Dansko clog, but it’s not too tight. It’s a snug but comfortable fit: roomier in the forefoot and narrower in the heel. I would recomMend this boot for a true Mid width.
- The side zipper allows for easy on and off.
- I personally like that the sole is a bit stiff and doesn’t flex too much. Both of my big toes have a touch of hallux limitus caused by my RA. My big toes don’t hurt in these. Today I took a long ride in them on the meadow path near our house. The fit and construction of the boot is wonderful, I just would like more cushioning.
It wouldn’t be an honest review if I didn’t express my bootstrap concerns as well:
- The insole does not have much cushioning or arch support. If I had to use a lot of time, I would add a template.
- I wish the stencil was removable so I could add a stencil without compromising space.
I plan to wear the Tamaris Catser with jeans rolled up or tucked in, in cold, wet weather.
The Tamaris Catser is Available in graphite (seen above), which is a very dark brown, and mocha, a warm medium brown; EU sizes 36-41 (order more if you’re between sizes) for $184.95 at Shoebuy.com, free shipping and returns. Zappos offers a lace-up version of the Catser for $200, free shipping and returns.
If this isn’t your boot, check out other styles from Tamaris. If you like low-heeled boots with a padded insole, try the Tamaris Ocimum. How about a Menswear-inspired brogue? Or a gorgeous burgundy bootie with a side zip?
Keep in touch with Tamaris on their US Facebook page. This is the best way to find out if the brand is Available at a store near you.