Boots and I have known each other for a long time. One boot in pARTicular stands out in my memory: a pair of brown polyurethane Sears Specials. My mom asked me to wear them to school after the 1978 Indianapolis Blizzard. She hated them so much I purposely left them in a bag under the last seat of the school bus. My mom didn’t buy the lie that I, oops! I forgot them," and she somehow got in touch with the bus driver. Sure enough, she called back to report the sad bag ofboots had been found. arrested. I hated the boots for a long time after that incident, but it’s been a few decades. I am over the emotional trauma of the brown PU boots and am ready to move on and embrace new styles.
After receiving a few reader requests for "Best Boots for Fall" post, I put up a video for the three-year-old and began the investigation. Whether you have "athletic calves," Wear braces, commute in the slush, or just need stylish yet comfortable boots, we’ve got you covered. Have a look! I’ll post my findings in two insTallMents, so check back tomorrow to see the rest. And please, if you have a pair of Super Boots you’d like to add to the list (or a boot horror story), feel free to leave a comMent below, as your knowledge is useful to other readers.
Although all the boots featured a link to Zappos, I researched comMents left by satisfied customers on OnlineShoes.com and Shoebuy.com, where most of these styles are Available (and sometimes at a better price).
1. The best comfortable and elegant booty—Indigo by Clark’s Water Row: A feminine take on the desert boot that comes in gorgeous olive green Suede. It has a 2 3/4" heel, cushioned insole and flexible sole. $120
2. Best WATERPROOF Warm Boot With Great Support— Merrell Spire Peak: Leather and neoprene upper for a custom fit around the calf, WATERPROOF membrane for a WATERPROOF yet breathable barrier, Ortholite® anatomical footbed. $175
3. The best boot for cold and muddy days—Bogs Classic: Not a Sexy boot, but what’s so Sexy about cold feet? Bogs will keep your feet completely dry and warm thanks to a 4-way stretch neoprene upper. This pARTicular pair has a comfort rating of -40°F. $90
4. Best Adult Ugg—Ugg Lynnea: I love these clog-inspired booties from Ugg Australia. If I had skinny jeans, I’d wear Lynnea with them, but I imagine they’d be just as stylish with a pencil skirt and tights. Lined with sheepskin, the top can be folded down for an Ankle boot or turned up for a Mid-calf boot. $180
5. The best bootie for feet that need support—Naot Advance: not "padded" comfortable, yet "supportive" comfortable. Anatomical cork/latex footbed molds to the foot over time and distributes weight evenly. Best for narrow to medium width feet. $211
6. Best Casual Knee High Boot—Clark’s Orinoco Jazz:A classic style riding boot with a comfortable foam insole, lightweight heel, and traction rubber outsole. $160
7.The best boot for problem feet-–Dansko Penelope: A completely new style from Dansko, Penelope features an elastic goring, adjustable laces and a side zipper. Removable memory foam footbed accommodates over an orthotic. $220
Super sale of the day: Comfy dresses from Patagonia, Colombia, Horny Toad and more are on sale for $50 less. The Patagonia Eva Luna dress would look amazing in one of the comfortable knee-high boots in the photo.